Thursday, May 22, 2008

Running on Empty


Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday, dear Drew,
Happy birthday to you.

***

Today I have a day of freedom from work so that I can sit with the kids while she tests for the job mentioned in the previous post. I hope to be able to work on some more writing and do a bit of job seeking myself.

If I don't change jobs before then, I've discovered that my next level of burger education will take place during three days in June that include my birthday: June 17-19. Still, though, there's no communication as to what these classes would mean for me promotion and/or salary wise, so I'm not exactly excited or anything, since I don't see a carrot dangled before me.

I've rediscovered my least favorite part of submitting creative work: waiting waiting waiting waiting. Sigh. If I get this it will be a major lift to my morale when it comes to motivating myself to push harder for more creative work. But as the genius of Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part.

I'm not getting along well with a bunch of people right now. Not that any of them are actually putting forth any effort to get along with me either. It makes me a lot more introspective and self-assessing.

Last night I watched the assassination of Robert Redford by the coward Brad Pitt, or whatever it was called. . .it mostly bored me. It was quite pleasant to see Zoe Deschanel in yet another singing role in a film, though. Which reminds me, my copy of Across the Universe is malfunctioning so I need to go visit Amazon soon for a replacement.

So, surely someone has seen it--how is Indiana Jones and the Case of Crystal Pepsi?

2 comments:

Adj said...

Funny, I loved the Assassination of Jesse James (blah, blah). I thought it was brilliantly understanded, especially the undercurrent of menance I felt throughout. It was one of those films where I was reminded Brad Pitt can actually act. But anyway... sorry to hear Burger Emporium isn't dangling more carrots for you. And I hope your creative endevours bear more fruit than vegetables :)

Adj said...

Oh and as of today, big, long spoilerific review of Indiana Jones up on my blog.