Monday, September 15, 2008

Changing Lanes


Hey, they can't all be birthday posts. . .even if today is my mother's birthday, and I'll have another one to post in a little over a week.

As a quick aside, I actually like the eponymous movie for this post, even though I'm not typically a fan of any of the principal cast. There are exceptions to everything, I guess.

Some inquiring minds have wanted to know: I am still currently in the fast food management job. After I put in my notice, they rebutted with an offer of more money, an offer which my sense of responsibility and Denise thought I shouldn't refuse--putting us a little bit better financially until I can move on to something more in line with what I want to do with my life (and a nod to friends who have put the idea of relocation out there--I actually will be expanding our focus to include Washington and Canada after the outcome of certain other things are resolved).

Right now, what I most need to do is get myself properly motivated to continue working on story pitches, writing said stories, and trying to get them out there. There are a couple small comics presses I've had my eye on and have kept from moving in on for whatever reason. While I'm thankful to Sean for trying to help me get work at Elfin, I haven't had any response from them to my pitch, so I plan to rework it and try to shop it around somewhere else as well, since I think it's a pretty darn good fantasy story and I want to share it. So, have to move on with that one as well. If anyone wants to volunteer to be my motivational nag, that'd be cool but I'd probably grow to hate you almost as much as I already surely love you.

I feel like there are aspects of my personal life in massive flux right now as well. I feel like many of my friendships are on the cusp of redefinition and something (nostalgia? fear of change?) is keeping me from acknowledging and nurturing these changes in my various relationships: people I feel growing closer, people growing apart, people I want to grow closer. . .such is life.

Neither here nor there: ADJ, I don't believe I've seen any response from you regarding Steph's resurrection and the silence on this is killing me.

Speaking of comics, my quest for an HDTV has me selling more of mine here. Help a brother out, eh? Besides, my friends get shipping discounts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This entry about your life and its turns is great!

Lillian

www.fieldreport.com

Adj said...

LOL! Y'know, I think I've been half afraid to comment on it because now that Chuck's been unceremoniously dumped from DC, I'm worried Steph's not longed for the world again!!

However, I do have to say I just glad she's back. Yes, it's cheesy to have killed her and brought her back, but her death was SO HORRIBLE and I think Chuck did what he could to make her 'death' plausible. I'm glad that he was also able to redeem Leslie and I thought the time spent in Africa was an interesting plot. It obviously broadened Steph's horizons. I think the dynamic between Steph and Tim now is good; of course Tim's mad and hurt and stuff.

And of course I'm holding out for them getting back together. However, with Chuck now gone, I'm not holding my breath. I hope the new Robin writer will know what to do with Steph, but no one ever seems to. I still think she's a fantastic character and a really good foil for Tim.

What did you think of the whole thing?

Ian said...

Wait...they brought Spoiler back? Huh? That's interesting, and it shows how long I've been out of the comic world. It's good to hear that they redeemed Dr. Thompkins (Leslie) 'cause that whole business was STUPID!
I've started a new blog, you probably saw it on the facebook note, but here's the address again, just in case: http://unrulytravller.wordpress.com/
Oh yeah, get to work on those pitches. You'll never make your fortune in the world of comics if you sit around playing rock band or guitar hero or heroclix all day :)