Monday, March 30, 2009

Manic Monday

So Wednesday I went to the cardiologist. Anyone who's read the fullness of this blog, or knows me in real life, knows that I'm a guy who has lost his faith in much of the medical profession. I mean how many doctors did I see, suffering from major breathing problems, over seven years and never get a chest x-ray. . .too many. So I see a cardiologist on Wednesday for the arrhythmia my regular and only trusted doc discovered. So what happens? The cardiologist listens and listens and listens and declares that he doesn't hear anything. He does pay attention to the EKG I had the week before though and decides that more testing should be done rather than just declaring me fine. This is going to be a busy week for me with the usual full work and kid chauffeuring week; I've an appointment with Lash tomorrow afternoon, the cardiologist is having me in for both an echo cardiogram and a treadmill stress test tomorrow morning and then a follow-up visit with him the next day for the results (either that or wait 4 weeks for him to come back from vacation--no thanks). I'm already weary.

As narcissistic as Twitter is, it taught me Blink 182 is back together this week and that makes me happy. I missed their bubblegum punk.

Anyone else give Better off Ted a try yet? I've really enjoyed the first couple episodes. Not just because it has Portia Di Rossi, but it feels reminiscent of Arrested Development to me comedically, like they might be not-quite-kissing cousins. I can already see the fan rally to save the show from cancellation being a torrent of creamer packets shipped to the studio.

Seriously folks, Dollhouse is dangerously close to being my second favorite Joss Whedon helmed show of all time (sorry Firefly, but at least I get to see River terminate pigeons on Sarah Conner the preceding hour). It is that good. And all the feminist rantings about it--clearly folks with no real long-term viewing of this or any other Joss show. Catch up with it on Hulu if you haven't been watching it, and then start watching it. I think this show would make George Orwell proud.

Pearl Jam re-released Ten this week. Why is a band that was once so anti-studio, record company, commercialism, etc. putting out 5 versions of re-release for the consumers (4 different packaging options on Amazon and other retailers plus the full album available for the Rock Band game. This is the version I want to think about getting.)? Seems a bit much. And they'll be doing it again and again over the next two years with the rest of their catalog.

3 comments:

Ian said...

I too am enjoying the Dollhouse, but I still think I have to go with Firefly for my number two Whedon show (and it would probably be my number one if it hadn't gotten the crap treatment from FOX). My number one is Angel so I'm sure it varies from yours only because I think you place Buffy at the top, but I could totally be wrong and if so, sorry for putting words into your mouth.
Dollhouse has taken a little while to develop, but it seems like some strong and scary stuff is about to go down. Add to that the fact that there are probably lots and lots of Dolls that we don't know about and things will get really interesting.
If I have one complaint it is that sometimes the focus is too much on the dolls, and not enough on the rest of the world, Agent Ballard or other clandestine organizations looking for the dollhouse to make it theirs. This is a minor complaint though, and if the show gets to continue after this season I am sure we will see things like this.

Adj said...

Fraid I've already given up on Dollhouse. But, considering I'm not much of a Whedon fan, that's not surprising :)

My overall tv viewing is way down again, heck, I even keep missing episodes of Terminator, but a comparison of Better Off Dead to Arrested Development has definitely piqued my interest now.

I hope your tests come out well. And I'm glad your doctor is being more dilligent. I still cannot believe no one sent you for a chest x-ray at all given the breathing problems you've had. Boggles my frickin' mind actually...

Unknown said...

@Ian, while I have much love for the Buffy show, and it DOES get points for ending on Joss' plans and time-table, and the Scoobies are, in their way, easier to relate to on a human level, and while I hate hate hate season 2 of Angel more than the worst season of Buffy (4th), The My Darling Wesley Show, I mean Angel, is in fact my Whedonverse #1 tv show. As for Dollhouse, as swiftly as they're moving to dismantling the structure of this particular house, I wonder if a focus on other houses and outside agencies might be much more prevalent in following seasons. At any rate, I've faith in Whedon and his stable of writers (I've noticed Doug, Jane and Tim in writing credits so far too--most of the Angel gang is all here).

@ADJ--no surprise for me there; I know you aren't much on the Buffy/Angel/Firefly love. Def give Better off Ted a try though, I think you'll dig it.