The last year or so has seen me grow into a less enthusiastic or dedicated reader. Between life in general, paying more attention to kids spouse and friends, video games, wasting more time online, whatever. . .I'm just not setting down as much to give myself a good amount of reading time. Typically I now take 2-3 weeks to read a book I'd normally finish in 1-2 days, and that's for books I'm finding myself enjoying (this reminds me I need to ask Chris if he's done with that Gaiman book so I can forward it to Micah). Right now I find myself struggling through the morass that is Charlaine Harris' book series on her character Sookie Stackhouse (the basis for HBO's True Blood series); I'm midway through week three and barely a quarter in to the second book (I stopped reading the first book when I figured out the mystery/killer's identity on page 56 and skipped to book two) and it's just not doing it for me. . .but my OCD need to finish it is keeping me from starting anything else. Argh. I don't see what Denise, Chrissy and Lynn see in these books but if I ever can get through this, I need to remind myself not to start book three (unless, that is, my enjoyment skyrockets between now and the end of book two). I need to start that other Gaiman book and finish off the last two books of Laurell K Hamilton's that I've been avoiding starting.
I'm curious to hear--if you're a fan, what's the appeal for you? Something's missing the mark for me and I'm curious to see what makes it a bullseye for others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've not read any of the Southern Vampire Mysteries nor watched True Blood but I've been thinking about it. If I move from thinking to doing, I'll let you know what I think.
Post a Comment