Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daybreakers in Too Many Words

I saw Daybreakers last week. Can't decide how much I really liked it. I think part of my ambivalence comes from this frustration: I am so very tired of the romantic leading guy vampire story who typically saddles himself with a young seemingly innocent girl, often pretending to be a highschool student instead of the hundreds-years old thing he is (I'm looking at you Twilight Saga, Southern Vampire Mysteries aka Trueblood and Vampire Diaries). What I really want is a nice horrific vampire story--one where the vampires are bad guys and so very very scary. 30 Days of Night's film adaptation gets points for trying and Let The Right One In was just awesome to the Nth degree on so many merits, including a bit of strange horror but otherwise I can't really seem to grasp a memory of there being a good vampire film of this sort in over a decade. Based solely on what little I'd seen of commercials on the television, I had high hopes this would finally be a good trip into horrorland. I was wrong.

I knew the movie wasn't going to be a scary one as soon as Ethan Hawke and Sam Neill's names flashed through the opening credits. Neither of them are 'that kind' of actor, though both are quite enjoyable. And I did end up ultimately finding the film enjoyable but not great, and not the scary I wanted. It was cerebral, which can be very nice. But it almost felt like it was also so busy not committing to any one train of thought that none of them ever really saw huge amounts of development, which ultimately just left me craving more.

3 comments:

The J.R.R Tolkien Project said...

I heard bad reviews about Daybreakers. I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD.

JUANdelaCRUZ said...

Hi ! you got a very nice blog... It’s GREAT...and if you have time to visit mine...www.yepeeh.co.cc....once again congrats you got a nice blog.........

Chi-chi said...

hello! how are you?
you can get unique fonts in here