Saturday, August 11, 2012

So now I am completely paranoid about driving my car.

Around 4:30 pm I rolled in and paid the $870 for the work that was done (about $250 more to go on repairs I can put off a short while) and I completely forgot my checkbook so I use my ATM to pay it off--no big deal except it's almost 5 and I forget there's a cash limit on my ATM per day. So I drive the car to the gas station and am totally denied because of my spending limit. Thankfully, my bank is across the parking lot and closes at 6 so I rush there and withdraw $40 and return to the gas station.

About 4 gallons into my pumping I start to hear liquid splashing against the pavement--my gas tank is leaking. I Immediately call the shop and get their automated recorder (they close at 5 too) and decide I'm driving it back to them immediately anyway: if there isn't someone still there, I'm parking it on their doorstep and confronting them first thing in the morning. Thankfully the owner and his brother are still there and the owner immediately starts getting to work on fixing their screw-up while the brother calls the mechanic responsible to ream him one and demand he come back to work to fix it.

It's 105 degrees Fahrenheit, I am dirty and sweaty and am supposed to meet someone for a platonic coffee date at 6:30--I call them to cancel and they decide to come out to me in case I end up needing a ride from the shop. The mechanic shows up and takes over from the owner and fixes the car.

So now I get in and it won't even start. Meanwhile, as I'm trying to turn the engine over, every time I crank it, my friend says she sees gas gushing out from under the car. It turns out the mechanic didn't pay attention to the owner's communication about what still needed done and missed a few crucial steps.

Yes, they fixed it and I was able to start it just fine, drive it to the gas station, fuel it up, etc. and make it home.

But now I am absolutely paranoid about trying to drive it again. Hopefully, my recognition of this irrationality will be enough to erase it by morning. And hopefully the mechanic didn't forget anything else crucial. We'll know the answer to both of these things tomorrow.

No comments: