Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Mother, Plus Identity Update

So my mother called yesterday, primarily to talk to Lash & Aeia, but Lash was in trouble so she cut the convo short with him and all phone convos with Aeia are short.

Anyway, we ended up talking and she got to talking about my "Evan Formerly Known As Dave" post (which I'd emailed her). It turns out that she's very jazzed that I'm changing my name to Evan--as it was the name she had originally wanted for me, but had been bullied into David by my father, who shall forever more be refered to in quirky and asinine ways. Had she had her druthers, my name would have been Evan Lee Peterson (It's weird that I've been leaning towards L word middle names for myself myself). Lee is my boss' name and while he's a really cool boss, I don't think it works.

I also made the mistake of mentioning that I'm also considering a complete name change: moving Evan to 1st place status and adopting a whole new set of middle and last names. She supports it, but suggested I change my last name to Born, which is my stepfather's last name. It would be a very nice thing because she'll never be able to give him children of his own... Me, though, I just don't like the name aesthetically, and if I'm going to change my whole name, it's going to be something I like the ring of.

Right now, the front-runner new name is Evan Lash Lucio Vidal (I would then be named after my son, my maternal great-grandfather and my maternal great-great-great grandmother, whose poetry in translation is also the subject of my Thesis work as well as bearing the original first name that my mother had intended for me).

Later that evening, she also e-mailed me to apologize for never having asked me if the sperm monkey had molested me. She said she'd never asked because she knew for a fact that he didn't--because he didn't have the opportunity (which is incorrect, but the fact she thought to write and apologize at all is MONUMENTAL coming from my mother, so I'll take it as the touching gesture it's meant to be--especially since she is right that he never did).

No comments: