Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Food Good

Like some people, I love watching Food TV. It's equal parts entertainment with equal parts fun in trying to replicate. Right now I'm really digging "Good Eats" and "30 Minute Meals." Not that big a fan of the FOOD on Good Eats yet, actually, but what makes it really watchable and cool for me is that the host explains the little details about things like the equipment that I never knew before. Rather than say I need to use a doible boiler, he says I need to use a double boiler, what a double boiler does, HOW to use a double boiler and why. It's really good for people like me who, being somewhat of an idiot savant of cooking before this, is really retarded as to the function of my cooking materials.

A ceramic mortar and pestle are best for grinding your own spices, by the way. Marble is too smoothe and too difficult to get good traction on the spice. Iron is great for texture, but too corrosive.

The best steak I've had:
The thickness you choose will determine the redness/wellness of the meat, so if you like a well done steak, go for something thinner (but not sandwich thin). If you like it bloody like I do, go for something at least a half inch thick. Experiment with the cut until you get the right one for you.

Start by putting some cooking oil on a plate (they suggest Canola. For something healthier, and nicer tasting, I go with extra virgin olive oil, or whatever olive oil is handy).

Preheat cast iron skillet on high (if you don't have a cast iron skillet, use any old skillet that will survive a trip inside your oven), and preheat your oven on 500 degrees farenheit.

Coat both sides of the steak with the oil from the plate. Coat sides of steak with salt and pepper to your taste (actually, I also replace this with steak seasoning. Most grocery stores have a few varieties, all usually sporting some combo of garlic, onion, pepper, salt, red pepper, sometimes cumin...again, try different kinds out and find the one that works best for you. I find it MUCH tastier than just salt and pepper, though just salt and pepper makes a really tasty steak here too).

Now that you have a wet and spicy steak, fry it in your skillet for 30 seconds, flip it for 30 more seconds, flip it and place the skillet inside the oven and cook for two mintues. Then flip the steak and cook it inside the oven for two minutes again. Then you're done.

This meal has a tendency to get very smoky, it's a result you should expect so ventilate well.

Garnish with whatever else you like. Sauteed mushrooms are good. Lately I've really been digging sauteed zucchini with almonds.

No comments: