I've finally gotten Denise to start reading the Dark Tower; meanwhile I'm only about half-way through the final book myself. I don't want to possibly spoil the book for her if she reads this, but I've just finished the battle at Algul Siento for those who've read the book and am upset--not because of the death that occurs, but because, as typical, King freakin' broadcast the death way in advance.
Stephen King has this nasty habit, and as much as I enjoy his work, this still really bugs me every time (some people might say his nasty habits include being too wordy--not me; inserting himself too much in his works--doesn't bug me too much, a little though, particularly in this series; the way some of his novels that aren't anything alike are still somehow connected--I actually always dug this, even more now). This one nasty habit he has always sets me off. Always makes what could be a great book, just a good book--he preannounces the deaths of characters (with lines like "so and so promised to tell everything he knew when they had a moment to rest, but that time never would come in this life").
Why on earth does he do this? Does he feel it might soften the blow for his reader or something if we know way ahead of time (in this case, an entire book ahead of time, as he forecast this specific death in Song of Susannah)?
I hate it. I'd rather be shocked and saddened by a death. I'd rather read a book wondering what is going to happen (something he made me do with excellence regarding Jake and Callahan and the end of SoS). The surprise is such a better emotional impact. Instead, he sets things up with heavy-handed forewarnings that leave me reading the book wondering when instead of if.
I really wish he'd stop doing that.
Tuesday, December 28, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment