Some people are going to totally get that title, and everyone else is going to think I might need meds.
So, today was Aeia's fifth birthday, but since we're spending some of the latter portion of tomorrow celebrating it (as the earlier portion will be spent at other business), I opted to make tonight a movie night and sat down to four movies I've either really wanted to see or had been heavily recommended to see: Alien vs. Predator, Open Water, Napolean Dynamite and Garden State.
AVP: It was really about what I'd expected, and I felt it was better than I'd heard. I really enjoyed that out of just three Predator's important to the plot, two of them were dispatched by one badass Alien (and the third was offed by the queen. I call that a win for the Aliens, even if it was the Predators that flew off at the end as the survivors). I did feel that it skewed more in favor of the Predators when it came to depicting killing of humans, which was sad as the Aliens are much more scary human killers.
Open Water: For an Indy flick, it was decent. For anything else, it was so very incredibly boring. Shark Week was brought up so many times that I realized I would have enjoyed myself more had I been watching Shark Week. I seriously could not recommend someone spending eighty minutes of their life on this.
Napolean Dynamite: I was probably never going to see this. KC recommended it to me, and he never likes movies enough to recommend them to others. Ian and the boys have been annoying me all week with quotes from the film too (annoying because I didn't get them). So, I watched it and it was brilliant. Brilliant.
Garden State: I bought this for myself without having seen it (a recurring trend of mine I'll blog about some other time)--what can I say, I'm Zach Braff's whore. A vast departure in tone from Scrubs (or was it?), but I absolutely loved it. It had a fantastic blend of drama, romance and comedy (although, honestly, I wished it could have ended less predictably, but I don't think anything else would have been satisfying as an end either--damn you and your "live for the journey" Stephen King!). When I recategorize my dvd shelves (planned for if/when we move) I think I'm going to bring back the "Good Drama" and "Bad Drama" sections (guess which section had a really really really small selection) it'll fall into the Good Drama section (which I think only has like five other movies: Pieces of April, Life as a House, American Beauty, As Good As it Gets and whatever one I'm forgetting at 12:43 in the morning).
Saturday, February 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment