Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Sun Always Shines on TV

The Sci-Fi Channel had a Tales From the Darkside marathon yesterday morning, which I DVR'd. I watched one episod with the kids where this mother who nags her kids about all the things that will happen to them if they do this or don't do that gets a magic necklace that starts making her statements come true. She ends up accidentally turning herself into a pillar of salt. The kids really dug that.

Last night I got Shortbus from Netflix. You might remember the controversy surrounding it for having the actors actually have sex in the story rather than simulate it--of course "mainstream" films in Europe have done this for over a decade; they're just also incredibly depressing. This was a very sex-positive story of a handful of peoples' journeys through relationships and sexual discovery. It wasn't really at all titillating, but it was very good. Definitely not one to watch with the kids.

Also got Confetti, a Britcom about three couples in competing weddings: musicals, tennis and naturalist (the winning wedding theme would get a house). It has the actors who play Daisy and Brian from Spaced and a bunch of actors from this other show I used to watch but can't remember the name of. "Daisy's" wedding theme was 1920s/30s musicals, except neither she nor her fiancee could sing or dance...

Four stars and three stars respectively.

No comments: