
50 Book Challenge #15: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.k. Rowling. Yes, I've finally broken down and decided to give it a read (babysitting today lasted longer than the shows I had saved up on their tivo, so I buckled and cracked open a book. Damn that literacy). I gave the book a try way back in early 2001 and didn't find it to my liking after one chapter, and so stopped there. I do have to say that the first three chapters or so remained tortuous to me. And despite the descriptions in the text, much of the imagery is controlled by my film viewing experience. However, given the furor of excitement over the new book, I felt maybe it was time. I liked it ok. I don't come away feeling it was as fantastic as so many of you make it out to be. It was good genre fantasy work and I'll give book two a try (each book will determine whether I want to read the next).
That's all. Still a little under the weather. Had a mostly pleasant weekend.
Peace.
5 comments:
I know the books are not to everyone's taste, but I do enjoy them for what they are. I won't say they're great or anything, and there's lots of kid fantasy literature that I enjoy more, but overall, I do like the books.
PS, number three, the Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favourite :)
They get better as you go, Evan; book one is hard for me to get through as well, but by the time you make it to 3, then 4, and so on, it's GOLD.
Of the first 4 movies (I'm waiting for Brian to follow through on his decree to treat me to #5), the second is my favourite. I've begun that book today and am half-way through. So far, I like it a LITTLE more than the first, and am so far looking as if I'll be moving forward into book 3.
I really enjoyed the ending as I think I mentioned.
5 was my LEAST favorite book, so I left the movie theater wondering why I liked the movie but hated the book... Until I talked to a friend and realized that ALOT of the 5th book was cut out of the movie.
I did miss one piece of book 5 in the movie, but all in all a good movie.
And I didn't start seeing the movies until the 3rd one... because I HAD to see the dementors.
Book 5 is Denise's favorite (and so I expect movie 5 will be her least favorite). I started book 5 yesterday evening but stopped out of Potter tiredness; I've vowed not to pick it up again until Denise returns to reading the Dark Tower books.
Number 4 brought a lot of problems in the series to light for me, and had a couple continuity errors which irked me.
Post a Comment