Saturday, February 16, 2008

Waitress


Watching Denise off to work last night and this morning, at those moments my only thoughts: God, I love that woman. And I do.

Valentine's Day. . .didn't do a blasted thing except send an e-mail and kiss my wife. I feel guilty that I can't be more romantic, but cash is better spent on non-romantic things. Monogamous people have it so easy--they only disappoint one person when they skip out on holidays, Hallmark holiday or no, with gifting. Of course, my favourite lesbian thinks I'm more the girl and Denise is more the boy in our emotions and so maybe I should be huffy with Denise for forgetting V-day. . . nah.

I've decided that I really like Juno after-all. I felt as if the movie dealt with its issues honestly and I haven't disliked a performance of Ellen Page's yet. I am still a little bugged by the non-Arrested Development pairing of Michael Cera and Jason Bateman, though.

If I haven't gushed about it, Once is also beautiful musically & cinematically, though Falling Slowly is not the best song from the film (still a great one). Both of these films had fantastic soundtracks.

I took the weekend off from work (really, only one extra day) and I'm a bit ambivalent about it.

50 Book Challenge #4:
Danse Macabre, another Anita Blake novel. This one threatens to be good with Anita facing pregnancy scares, an increase in focus back on supernatural politics stuff. And then Anita just sluts out a whole lot more again and the book really doesn't go anywhere.

50 Book CHallenge #5:
The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes, translated by Alfred Mac Adam. I'm surprised not to have read this book in any of my literature or translation classes in seven years at university. There are frequent times I'm reminded of Hemingway. There are also frequent, poignant moments of poetry in the storytelling.

There was going to be more but, seriously, Tasmia is screeching and I can't think.

2 comments:

Adj said...

I'm glad you've ended up liking Juno. I enjoyed it a lot.

Hey, did you ever read Stephen King's Danse Mcabre? His 'treatise' on horror? I loved that book and thought it incredibly informative. I think it shaped my reading habits for a whole year after I read it in highschool, searching out the various books (and heck, movies) King talked about.

Unknown said...

I read King's book a long time ago, 1992 or 93; I can barely remember the content, though also used it to chase down more films and books.