Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Across the Universe


I hadn't realized how much more "down" seemed to shadow my last two posts until reading Shel's comments. Yes, very much, there have been down moments lately, and someone close to me but displaced who has been finding me downer than usual. That all said, however, while often tired and whatnot, I am a good deal more happy than not. And I thank you, Shel, for also reminding me that there are others who share care with me.

Pressing on.

Just finished watching the eponymous movie of this post. I'm a big lover of modern musicals; I have a soft and tender spot for them. As much as I loved Moulin Rouge, I think the conceit of using contemporary music (ALL Beatles in this one) to help narrate the story really helped to make the movie more moving, rather than just more pretty. Not a perfect movie by far (while arty, post-modern, etc.) it was still a little too Hollywood happy ending, but it left me happy, which isn't the typical for me with the typical Hollywood ending.

Pressing on.

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday, dear Chris,
Happy birthday to you.

And a slightly early happy birthday to Joey, Misty, Carly and Robert too.

4 comments:

Adj said...

Hmm, I admit to having a curiosity to see Across the Universe, as I was raised to think the Beatles were gods and I'm curious to see what's done with the music. I'm quite certain I was the only 3 year old around who could name all the Beatles...

However, being raised to think the Beatles were gods, I'm also very... leary of hearing other people sing them. And having sat through the excrutiating experience that was We Will Rock You, I'm really wary of these modern 'musicals' who use the catalog of one artist to tell a story.

Your thumbs up though has put me closer to watching :)

Oh, and I'm glad you're actually happy if feeling somewhat down too. That happens. Sending some happy to you though!

Unknown said...

I have to say that the first half of the movie's usage of song seemed a bit too. . .obvious, then about a third or more in they start doing a lot of interesting weaving of music with larger world and character plots and whatnot and that worked for me.

Though I wasn't raised to worship the Beatles.

Shel said...

I kept meaning to post about this movie, but well... you know how it goes. We just saw this on blue ray. I really, really liked it. I'm not a big musical fan, as a whole, but this one and Moulin Rouge seemed to overcome whatever it is about musicals that drive me a little batso. I think it must be the "differentness" of them. Across the Universe reminded me a bit of Pushing Daisies (which I'm also quite enamored with at the moment and can't wait for next season). I think the last musical I saw was Rent. I wanted to like it, but I was bored. It had that... "Oh god, are they singing again???" Disney quality that I couldn't get past.lol Anyway, glad you liked it. I was just wondering if you had, actually.

Also glad to hear your blueness is less... uhhh blue and more of a turquoise. xoxo

Unknown said...

hiiiilarious. That is EXACTLY what I thought about Rent