Some of you longer-term readers may remember my previous disgruntlements over the laziness of our postman when it comes to the recycling bin being too close to our mailbox and refusal to deliver our mail when this occurs. This extends to many other things too, and since I live in an apartment complex predominantly populated by college kids, it seems at least once a week I'm moving some sort of misplaced trash from behind our mailbox and into our dumpster so that we can continue getting our mail. . .so last night when I get home from work around one in the morning, I see two sizable piles of refuse behind our mailbox and let out an unhappy groan. I'm already dirty and grungy from work so I may as well deal with it promptly than to let it sit.
When I get over to the garbage I have to stop myself a moment. My initial reaction is "Holy shit, Denise has kicked me out of the house without telling me! What did I do this time?" Why, you might ask? Because I find myself staring at two sizable piles of books, almost all hardcovers and, from what I can see, almost entirely Stephen King (which anyone to visit my home would be able to say is a fair assessment of my own library--a lot lot lot of Stephen King hardcovers). Upon closer inspection I stop having my mini paranoid experience, as there are also books I've never seen, as well as books that are very much not the editions I own.
All told there's probably about fifty books, three-quarters of which are hardcover editions of SK novels and all seemed to still be in good condition (some old, some a bit scuffed, but no weather damage from being next to our garbage for somewhere between one and eight hours) and there was just no way I could ever bring myself to throw away all those books. So now I have two giant boxes full of books that I need to sort through, decide if any are to be kept and what to do with the rest.
Why somebody would just throw their library away is beyond me, but whoever you are dude, I suggest you kiss your wife's ass and make up already before she throws out your electronics.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I rushed here when I read your Facebook status. You covered the free book part but not the the good news part. Don't leave a bro hanging.
That's pretty crazy man. If some of those books are first edition or even second edition style get to ebaying. And if not, donate them to the library and get the tax write off.
Post a Comment