A Fistful Of Charms (Hollows, book #4) by Kim Harrison
This
is one of the two supernatural series I turn to when I want the feel of
Anita Blake without the 300 pages of necrophiliac and/or bestiality
porn (the other is the Mercy Thompson series of books by Patricia
Briggs).
Technically the writing in this series is fine, but
after 4 novels I'm still not really connecting with the characters on an
emotional level. A lot of Rachel Morgan's emotions seem harder for me
to approach than Mercy's or even Anita's. This makes for this series to
be a little harder for me to immerse into and read quickly.
However,
what I really like about this series is the world Harrison has crafted
for it. It's decidedly unique and interesting with a back history and
paranormal political and policing structure that I really appreciate
seeing more and more of. I also really like the way magic is used and
defined in this universe. I wish I could fall for the characters a bit
more because then I think I would read the rest of the series more
speedily (I've only just read number 4 of 11 in this series, whereas the
Mercy series I've read 5 of 6 because the characters are more alive to
me).
Still, another good porn-free replacement for Anita Blake.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment