I've been feeling down more often lately. As my kids grow older, I become more and more aware of my own advancing age, of how I'm nowhere even close to where I wanted to be in life by this time, of how certain situations make any possibility of significantly changing that next to impossible at this time and that "at this time" will last at least until I'm 50.
And then I'm just romantically lonely. I'm no slouch at all when it comes to sexual gratification. If I feel needy in that regard, I've always been able to sate that need. But having sex doesn't sate all my needs and I'm growing more and more like I feel as if I'm not companionable. I really miss the intimacy of having a partner in life.
Looking these things over, as I have been incessantly for weeks now, what's really struck me is that the driving force of my feeling depressed about all of it is my feeling unable to really talk about it. If I post 99 positive, happy things online and one negative thing I get the people in my life telling me things like I'm being really emo, or that all I talk about is negativity. So reaching out over social media or other internet means (virtually my only real access to *all* of my closest friends) is something I always hold back as long as I can bear to because of the shitty-feeling backlash. And there's no one in my in-person life that I feel close to enough, that I trust enough, to talk to about the heavier emotional stuff. I had a confidante once, a remarkably handy, incredibly trusted and wholly important friend, and local even--someone I could always count on to be there for me, and whom I could be there for in return. And then my wife left me to shack up with him (Sure, the situation is significantly more complicated than that, and yet at the same time, it's also really that simple).
It's hard coming back from that level of having your trust breached. I wish I could. I think these holes in my life are killing me.
Monday, September 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
"I've been feeling down more often lately. As my kids grow older, I become more and more aware of my own advancing age, of how I'm nowhere even close to where I wanted to be in life by this time, of how certain situations make any possibility of significantly changing that next to impossible at this time and that "at this time" will last at least until I'm 50."
Yeah, that's about how I feel too. But the kids make it all worthwhile, seeing them healthy, growing, and learning and knowing I'm contributing to that. Of course, I can and should do more, but it's okay to not be perfect everyday, and to think about yourself sometimes. There is no perfect balance, do what you can.
Thanks, man. You're right, of course. Sometimes being the best I can be for the kids, seeing the wonder that they are...it's what keeps me going.
It was good seeing you this Summer.
I know I'm far away, but I always want to hear how you're feeling, even if you are, no, especially if you are feeling unhappy.
Love you.
You are companionable, and, when you aren't feeling lonely and stuck in your own head, you know it. You also know it takes work to be companioned (or sometimes dumb luck), but you are soooo busy right now. So hang in there. And keep yourself open to that dumb luck. If you aint open to dumb luck, or just aren't open at all, add "learn to be open" to your laundry list of things to do. If the hinges of trust are all broke up, you need to fix it so the door can be open.
I feel this way a lot too, Evan. You're not at all alone here.
Post a Comment