Getting Lost: S01E03: Tabula Rasa
This is our first
character flashback episode, the first of many Kate back story episodes.
This episode clarifies that she is indeed a criminal on the run, and
that she has been hiding out in Australia when the U.S. Marshals finally
catch up to her. Her back story resonates with her being told that
everyone deserves a chance to start over...and then she is promptly
betrayed by the same person within the span of 24 hours. It parallels
Jack telling her the same thing at the end of the episode when she wants
to tell him about her crime--he tells her they've all died and all get
to start over; he doesn't want to know (hey asshole, we do!). I have to
wonder how long it is before he throws her under the bus as well when I
see that.
The rest of the centrism on Kate this episode really
isn't terribly interesting. I like that she returned the gun to Sawyer
and that he gloriously screwed up his mercy killing of the Marshal.
What
really caught my thoughts this episode were the scenes with John Locke,
which were few. So far we've seen him doing a lot of sitting down. I
would think someone who has undergone the same miracle he has would be
spending more time enjoying his ability to walk again. I'm picturing
Professor X playing basketball the first time his ability to walk was
returned to him. We also have more of John's strange friendship with
Walt, and Walt's revelation to his father that John calls this place a
miracle. We assume he's talking about their surviving the crash, and
surely that is correct, but hindsight also tells us that a lot more
miracle-making is going on here than that. Also of note: John is magic
(which is true for so much to come). With no crafting skill in his
repertoire, a knife and a simple piece of bamboo he crafts the perfect
dog whistle, attracting the return of Vincent and providing Michael the
first instance of someone else mending his father-son relationship with
Walt for him.
This episode has one of those annoying "play some
hackneyed popular song over a video montage of characters emoting"
scenes at the very end. I don't remember this being a habit. I hope I
remember correctly. The musical montage ends with a close-up of John
looking dark and sinister. Why?
My Questions: (I will carry these forward from review to review until they answered in the show, even if I know the answer now.)
1. What is the monster?
2. Why didn't the survivors ever go in search of the tail section?
3. Why is there a polar bear on a tropical island?
4. What federal law did Kate break that has her chased round the world by a U.S. Marshal?
5. Who is the French woman on the radio?
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment