Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Cultural Snobbery

I am such a snob. Whenever Denise and I are watching something and she doesn't recognize somebody on the telly from their other role or roles on other shows or films, I just can't seem to let her off the ridicule hook. People as mentally bereft about pop culture as she often is really get the snobby disdain from me. I can't seem to control it. The same thing goes to people who like music or film or tv that I obviously feel to be inferior. Like those legions of over-eighteen fans of boybands. They are all on crack.

It's probably why High Fidelity made my top five list a couple weeks back--I see so much of myself reflected in those three record store clerks. No one who has taste and isn't in a coma wants to listen to "I Just Called to Say I Love You." Sometimes peoples' tastes in pop culture hurt me physically. I get ill.

To this day, I continue to shake my head in dull shock that Denise still has not seen the Godfather or any of its sequels, but she likes the new editions of Star Wars just fine.

No comments: