Monday, October 25, 2004

Weekend at Home at the Movies

Saw two rented movies this week: Ghostwatcher and Saved!

Ghostwatcher has the distinction of being really really crappy. For camcorder-fare it was decent, but too much logic was often left at the door. Worse, a plot point ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL to the film was relegated to the deleted scenes section of the dvd rather than placed in the movie itself. On the plus side--there was one fart-funny gag reel, for those with more purile humour. Sadly, the basic idea of this film was astounding. Done well, I would have loved to see a horror movie about an agorophobe who discovers her home is haunted by a malicious and evil ghost.

Saved! I'd been wanting to see badly and just never had been able to. For the last 13 years or so I'd had this mindset that movies where Macauley Culkin dies are good movies, and movies where he doesn't are not good movies. After last night, I have to re-assess. Not only did he survive, but he was an enjoyable member of the cast to watch. Not being a Christian, I thoroughly enjoyed how well the movie performed at being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about various extreme religious personalities in today's youth while simultaneously making a really positive message about the nature and importance of faith. A message I thought it nailed wonderfully without being heavy-handed or religion-specific. And did I mention that the humour was dead-on groovy? Eva Amurri speaking in tongues is was worth the price of rental alone.

No comments: