Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Movie Reviews

This week I rented Sideways and Closer, two movies I'd been wanting to see and hadn't had the motivation to see in the theatre (point of fact, I'd have bought Closer sight unseen save for the fact that the store was sold out of purchasable copies).

I enjoyed Sideways. It was fun. It was decently written. I like the principal actors. I don't think it was great, however. I can't see why it drew so much Oscar buzz, but I at least agree with its not winning. Not great, but good. And as someone who wants to cultivate a better palate for wine, it was instructive and entertaining.

Closer... not quite what I was expecting from the countless reviews I'd read, but close. I love me my Natalie Portman movies; I find her visually fascinating in a way I find so few actors today. Ever since Leon, The Professional I've been captivated by her work. And, by and large (I loves me my cliches), she was the most sympathetic, believable and enjoyable character in the film. Almost didn't return this one to Blockbuster (as they'd then just charge me the difference between the rental and the dvd as new thanks to their new late fees policy) but decided I could probably get it cheaper used later, or new on Amazon.

No comments: