
50 Book Challenge 30 and 31: Obsidian Butterfly and Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton. I continue to press onward in my reading of the Anita Blake series; the supernatural bent to the stories and "supernatural manner" aspects of the tales still really intrigue me. That said, Butterfly was both a slower read and a refreshing read in that it very nearly completely breaks from the convention of the previous novels, having Anita abandon her home locale and supporting cast of characters in order to immerse into a case and story that focuses a good deal more on one of the recurring supporting characters, Edward. This really worked for me, but it also made the complete 180 return to form in Narcissus all the more jarring. Narcissus also really amps up the sex stuff (which was already a bit much for me) for the series, focusing a lot on sex and cementing for me the realization that I am in fact reading a series of romance novels about a female detective who happens to be a zombie animator and vampire executioner. Go figure. I need to speed up, having only three months left to finish 19 books.
I don't know if it's the books, my darling wife, certain distractions, or what, but sex is on the mind a lot lately--and if the books aren't to blame, they certainly exacerbate it.
Just came in from watching Stardust at the Taylors'. Beautiful movie. Loved DeNiro.
No comments:
Post a Comment