So, as I mentioned in my earlier comment in another's thread, we went
forward with pursuing adoption for one of our foster children. That
didn't pan out for reasons beyond this conversation, but Sara is still a
part of my life today and I love her as my daughter now as I did then
(friends here with big memories will remember me writing about her on
her 21st birthday last April).
i don't think he realizes his own potential to love an adopted child just the same
I.
. .don't know. Mind you, I'm only speaking for myself and feel like I'm
making myself look pretty awful here, but because I know how I feel about this, I would be irrationally paranoid my partner would feel the same way.
Yes,
I fully believe that love is limitless and we can therefore love so
many people in so many different ways and intensities. And, no doubt
whatsoever I would love an adopted child. But. . .
Once upon a
time, I had a wife and we had a third/lover/boyfriend. And we had a
barrier protection rule that my wife and our third secretly disrespected
every time they were together w/o me. And then my wife went off birth
control before he had a deployment so we could work on making a baby and
they continued disrespecting the barrier protection rule. And then my
wife became pregnant with Tasmia and I learned about the protection
issue.
With months of doubt growing in front of me. With
rationality telling me that I love her, I love him, I love his kids with
his wife...of course I would love this baby, even if she wasn't "mine."
And then Tasmia was born, and she didn't look like the other three kids
as babies. She was darker complexioned (he is half Thai). And I loved
her.
But I didn't love her the same. And no one could beat me up
over it as much as I beat myself. But I just could not bond to my new
baby like I did with my others. It tore me apart.
A year later I finally just couldn't handle the lack of knowledge, the resentment (I understand that my problem was a lot
more the betrayal at the hands of my wife and our partner than my
ability to love), how awful it made me feel. And so I had the paternity
test done.
Everything changed. If you know me now, and see me
with Tassy, it's all there. I feel as if I robbed myself and my daughter
of a year of bonding with her over something as idiotic as genetics. I
can't get any of this back.
And the experience has forever left
me wondering about the intensity of love. Would I, had we adopted her,
love Sara as much as I love my biological children? I worry that the
truth would make me a horrible person.
Monday, February 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Horrible people aren't introspective and normal people aren't saints. Good post. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment