Getting Lost Again
I've been planning to start another re-viewing of Lost:
this time with an eye to reflecting on its message(s), the things that
worked so well, the things some people say didn't work so well even,
themes that touch me, and why something as inconsequential as a
television series, a science fiction one at that, has such deep
emotional resonance for me that I incorporate its message into the
building blocks of my own belief system.
I'll be writing this
journey up as I go. I won't necessarily write after every episode,
though I will try to do so, but I will definitely write the high notes
(for me, for this project) as they come. There were 121 episodes (and I
will include the 12 minute epilogue included on the Blu-Ray). With a
projected goal of doing 2-3 episodes per week on average (as I won't be
just zipping through them, but watching them, carefully reflecting on
them, and then writing) this project will take me more than a year.
That's a little daunting.
I will be welcoming discussion, with
some ground rules: I'm not doing this to provide anyone a soapbox for
bitching about the show's end, or any of its loose threads. Save that
soap box for when I review the final two-part episode. Preferably, any
discussion will center around the episode at hand, and my sharing of
myself through it.
Of note: this show has been off the air since May 2010. Anyone who hasn't seen the show and reads these writings, don't read them if spoilers will bother you.
I won't be giving spoiler warnings. Anyone reading along is expected to
have also watched the series, or to be unconcerned about my discussion
spoiling it for them.
This is going to be a very big, and very
personal, project for me. Respect that, and I'll keep on sharing the
journey with you as I go--because this journey is so much better in the
company of those I love. I will start with public shares, and slowly
tighten in to the smallest of my circles if this simple civility can not
be abided.
Another note: if rough language will bother you, you
might not want to read them either. Sometimes, for rhetorical emphasis, I
talk like a sailor. Tender ears and eyeballs should keep that in mind.
I'll be starting this journey a few hours from now.
Care to get lost with me?
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment