
A couple weeks back Lash came home from school with a well-versed well-researched request for a fish tank. I was impressed at how well he knew the info he had on fish pricing and care, and his behaviour had been exemplary, so I buckled and took the kids out for a fishtank. Each of the two older kids got a fish: Lash a calico goldfish he named Rico, Aeia a fantail goldfish she named Sara after someone who used to be very important to her.
Two days later, Sara died. I introduced the kids to the concept of toilet bowl funerals. Rico died the next day. We left the tank empty a couple days and then bought one new fish, a calico that was named Darth Fishious. Darth Fishious lasted just shy of a week before he gave up the ghost.
Upon his death, I noticed a lot of little microbes moving around in the water, so I set to cleaning it. Then I realized the little "microbes" were actually baby goldfish. But I realized this in time only to save one of the baby goldfish. It lasted almost three days.
Last weekend we were at Chris and Chrissy's for part of the graduation weekend celebrations and the kids found an earwig inside their kids' room. They caught said earwig and disposed of it, announcing that they gave it a funeral--though they flushed it alive.
Yesterday saw the kids getting new fish again. Aeia's is Goldy while Lash's is Silverfin. Goldy is already looking a bit sick-fish.
I think our tank is cursed
3 comments:
You can take in a sample of the water and the dead fish to many stores and get a refund and the water tested to see if there is something you can do to make it a more hospitable environment. Shel knows a lot more about stuff like this though.
I do. Really. I'm a fish nut. First things first, the biggest mistake people make is jumping the gun and getting fish right away. Your tank needs to develop good microbes first so best thing is to set up tank, filter, chemicals, scenery stuff and then just leave it for a whole week. You would not believe how much difference this makes. Also, no matter what size the tank, make sure you give them plenty of oxygen. Even if it's just a bowl, get an air pump and throw the tube in there. Ideally, you'll want an air stone to diffuse the air and keep the tube from popping out. Second, gold fish are ass, in my opinion. lol Try something hardier like a Molly or a Tetra. They're cheap, and in my opinion, more interesting. For tanks over about 5 gal., get a Plecostomus and he'll do tank maintenance. Third, overfeeding is almost always the killer. Give them a very small pinch a day and stop. Hungry fish are better than dead fish. If the fish you have don't kick it before you can get some, try getting some "Stress Coat". It works miracles. As a matter of fact, I get some anyway and throw it in right before I add the fish to give them some extra slimy goodness. If you're serious about keeping fish, that's the best advice I can offer. I usually put my money into the best filter I can afford and between that and the plec, I rarely, if ever, have to clean the tank or mess with any additional chemicals.
Yes, I do realize that you didn't ask for my opinion, but there ya go. If you do all that and your fish still dies, do like Trav says and take it back, along with a water sample (separate from the carcass). They are really very understanding.
yeah, did that with the water (not the fish, obviously, given the funerals) and got educated on tank chemical maintenance between Rico and Darth, but it still didn't save Darth.
Goldy is hanging in; I think I was speaking too soon regarding her chances of making it
Post a Comment