First comes Thursday, and the Thanksgiving celebration I hosted. Aside from myself, Denise, Lash, Aeia and #3.1, our friends Terry and Kathy (lump-referenced in this and many posts as "the lesbians") and my grandmother were in attendance. The lesbians were supposed to bring some nieces, but the nieces' mother had another homophobe day and they didn't get to come, nor did invited guests KC and Paul.
This was both the first year I'd done the turkey entirely on my own and the first time I'd ever cooked for my grandmother (she, her sister, her mother--all excellent old=school Portuguese cooks).
After thawing the turkey for four days, I got between the skin and flesh and gave it a rub down consisting of dijon mustard, teriyaki sauce, evoo, fresh parsely, sage, rosemary, time, garlic, juice and zest of lemon. Retained half the rub and added a cube of butter to it, and this was the basting fluid. The bird ended up awesome.
And if it hadn't, I had two more to try improving--Lash won a turkey in a school contest and Aeia's school donated turkeys to all of its students.
I also made homemade cranberry sauce. It proved too guormet for grandmother, who was expecting plain cranberry-sugar-water homemade sauce and mine was quite different. On the plus side, Kathy, who hates cranberry sauce, had two helpings (we both attribute it to the port that was part of the component).
Anyhow, it was a great success followed by a four hour game of Zombies!!! which my grandmother almost won and I eventually did win.
The next day we were invited to Chris and Chris' for a Thanksgiving meal. Denise had to work, but the rest of us went: the kids spending the day playing together, #B.1 playing video games and me chatting with friends. Their turkey had been brined with herbs and vegetable stock and ended up really moist and good (though I maintain mine was better).
Saturday, November 27, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment