Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Week Thus Far


Drew recently mentioned some 50 book challenge on his blog, and I've decided to give it a go--reading 50 books in a year. If Dubya can do it, anyone can, and I've practiced too much illiteracy over the past couple years. So far, I'm off to a slow start, having only completed two books (both of 'em trashy "beach reads"): Going down in la la land by Andy Zeffer and Hard by I forget who. The former was pretty boring, the latter was engaging but nothing special.

Speaking of special--Amazon is having a 50-60% off sale on TV shows on DVD right now, making me wish I had more money. If you jones for tv on dvd, check it out.

School began this week. I'm in a Theory of Literary Criticism class that I need to finally complete my MA (hopefully in the fall) and Poetry: Form and Practice. With them I've decided to take up jogging on my walks home. Last night was a real bitch of it.

The winter holiday went off fairly well. The kids all had a grand old time and I was able to get Denise her laptop for her Yule-slash-anniversary present. Which after that, bills and tuition, my grant is gone and I'm broke-ish again--I couldn't get my PS3 (this is me pouting a lot). And of course, the van picked after this to decide to let us know it was dying, so I don't know what I'm going to do along that end. Hmph.

I went with Chrissy last week to drop Chris off for basic. It was really hard (moreso for her, natch) and we're all already really missing him.

Ain't it cool news: Rael is really working hard at communicating. He still makes no sense most of the time, but he's got "mom, Lash, bye-bye and night night" down, and earlier this week I told him "I love you" and he replied with "I love (pause) too." That was cool.

It ain't cool news: They're offering Bryan a deal--10 years (probation in 8.5) and two strikes; if he turns it down it'll go to trial and he could get life, but that would mean Lash will have to testify after-all, which wasn't the case when the trial was still in our county. Hmph. I don't like the downsides to either option; I want him there forever without putting Lash through it all again.

More news later, folks!

4 comments:

Drew said...

Ok.... let's try again( blogger made my message disappear for some reason)

Wish I had $ as there are a couple of series I want(Venture Brothers, Justice League 1 &2, Batman Season 4...) but with the Xbox games( and the remote I just got), buying Norton Systemworks for my computer this week and rent due next week... I doubt I'll be able to get any.

Rael- I find it oddly amusing that he can say Lash before Dad/Daddy/Pa or Father... I'm reminded of Mindy( of Animanics) calling his mom nice lady.
But please do tell me what your kids call you. I grew up with a Mom and Dad- and I figure that's what you and Denise are.( until they get to the age where they call you 'those weird people who are my parents')

Brayn... Sigh. I gotta say I sorta like him in there for the 8 1/2 to 10, with two strikes. He'd be in jail for the rest of Lash's childhood and by the time he gets out Lash could defend himself( if need be). Also having the built in two strikes just means that he still has life imprisionment over his head...
See I'm a pessimist, in case you haven't figured THAT out, and I'm a bit worried that it goes to trial, Lash has to testify and Bryan's lawyer gets Bryan off. THAT would be doubly bad as not only would Bryan get back on the street BUT this would be Lash's first view of 'the system' and it would've have let him down.
The really sad thing is this isn't YOUR choice... It's bryan's and so he's going to do what he/his lawyer is best for HIM and not what you think is best for Lash.

As for Chris. Sorry I got nothing. I told you my piece in private. Nothing to add to that.

Aimee said...

I've only managed to read 1 book so far this year (some historical that'd probably bore you to tears) and I don't reckon I'll come anywhere near 50 but I suppose it'd be interesting to try.

I'll be crossing my fingers (and toes) on your finally being able to complete your MA.

I've told you my feeling on the whole jogging home thing, I'm a wimp, I couldn't do it. But it's great exercise so I think it's awesome that you're doing it.

I'm happy your winter holiday went well (*smile*). And I'm sorry about your PS3, love, if I could I'd get it for you but I happen to be broke too and that sucker is expensive. And the van too (*frown*), that's no fun! I hope it hangs in there for you, babe.

I only had the pleasure of meeting him twice but your Chris was a good guy and he and his family are in my thoughts.

Awww, Rael is just so sweet and cute and... sigh.

As for Bryan, both options suck and as a parent I'm conflicted on which one I'd want see happen. I'm sorry, love.

Love, hugs, kisses.

Shel said...

I miss Chris too, and I'm not even there. sigh.

I bet Rael is just adorable. Make a video already!!

I'm sorry Bryan continues to be a entity in your universe. On the bright side, in 8.5 years, he's going to get a whole lot o' bubba lovin' and that's gotta make you smile a little. Just a little?

Hang in there. Love ya.

Unknown said...

We've got his address now, if you need it.

Since we have to do the whole trial thing now, I'm hoping he gets a lot more than 8.5 years.