Ok, nerds are easy targets, but seeing as how most writers were more likely to be nerds than jocks, I'd expect maybe a little more sympathy when you see them in the media (oh wait, I bet these folks are self-hating nerds).
Last night's episode of Bones dealt with a plot involving a group of nerds who play their nerdgames live-action style (I won't get into defining that here. LARPing is a bit beyond me) and one ends up dead.
There is no sympathy played out for the other characters. They're all caricatures of nerdiness a la Comic Shop Guy from the Simpsons. Boreanaz's character even refers to them as "the type of nerds who burn their school down." Unless you're a particular mentally unbalanced person I know, you should understand how insulting that is (but if you need help, imagine me saying "Southerners are the type of Christians who burn down black churches;" which is wrong on so many levels). The vast majority of nerdgamers, even those who LARP, are not the sort of reality-challenged dolts who live their lives as if their characters are reality and their real lives aren't--despite what this show says to the contrary (when I was playing CJ in Ian's deadlands game, I didn't go around pretending I was a 16 year-old cross-dressing illiterate female Catholic gunslinger).
I get it. It's fun to poke fun at nerds. Go ahead. But don't be so blatantly ass about it.
One of their other attacks on nerddom should really insult everyone with a brain. Deschanel's character, to one of her underlings, at one point in the story says, with shocked revulsion, "you fantasize? I thought you were smart."
Remember this folks, only stupid people have fantasies.
Friday, February 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And this is why you should never watch Bones again.
I remember there was an episode of West Wing where Josh makes a Trekie stop wearing a Star Trek button... saying it's unbecoming or some such.
And I loved the fact that this underling( as she was a mere staffer) stood up to Josh, explaining how COOL Star Trek was and how it preached all sorts of good life lessons. Good stuff.
I also wonder if this is 'biting the hand that feeds you' or showing any sorta 'bad blood' as Boreanaz's last bosses was a BIG geek who fantasized about Vampires... and he wouldn't've had a pay check for 5 years without Whedon or the geeks who like vampires and thus watched Buffy and Angel.
For some reason this reminds me of a tagline I saw on some guy's website. It was called tech geek or something with a tagline of "nerds are for dorks". It made me giggle.
Post a Comment