Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hey Now, You're a Rockstar

My latest sick reality tv fascination is Rock Star: INXS. I started watching it when I was in the hospital, and somehow decided to keep checking in at home.

I suppose I could rant on about whether or not INXS is even a viable band anymore. They hit their creative peak way back when I was in highschool, and a freshman at that (say, about sixteen years ago). I remember really starting to dig them as a freshman when this girl I was into would make me listen to them all the time. Still, I did come to like the music. When Michael Hutchence died, I would have expected them to find another Aussie singer and keep on keeping on, or retire (and assumed the latter), not pop in nearly a decade later as reality show hosts shilling the American audience in what, ultimately, comes off as little more than a more rocking version of American Idol.

And still, unlike A.I., I can't seem to keep myself from tuning in. While not groundbreaking, a good few of the performers are really enjoyable to listen to. Do I have my favorites? Nope. There are three that I think would best suit the band should they win (Marty Casey, Mig Ayesa and JD Fortune).

I think it could be a really interesting turn if one of the female contestants won and got to join the band, but I wouldn't want to see it. Now, I love female performers, but I don't think they'd be the right fit. It would be like Nirvana (though there really is no comparison to Nirvana) replacing Kurt Cobain with Britney Spears. It just wouldn't be right.

Check that out. I can talk about really unimportant shit just like your average twelve year-old. Rock on.

Update 9-7-5: I'm all about Marty Casey winning now.

No comments: