Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post-Op Update

Been asked a few times in private e-mail and in comments here about how things are going post-op, making me realize I haven't really been talking about it here.

Things are going generally well.

This past week has actually seen an increase in pain/discomfort as my body has begun to take a lot more notice of the void left by my removed rib. As it needs devote less energy to healing my incision, which seems to be scarring nicely, it's going overtime letting me know that my ribcage and the attached musculature aren't happy at the loss of rib. Coming home, I didn't need pain medication (I soldiered through it) but this past week I have needed it a couple times.

The walking continues to be easy, if not uncomfortable. Would be nicer if it weren't the hottest effing portion of the summer.

The incision seems to be coming along. There's a lot that I can't quite see, and the tape's only started falling off of about half of it, which blocks my view of the incision further.

But, I can sit up, stand up from sitting or laying down unaided, move my left arm in a better range of motion than I could a week ago. All good. I can sleep on my right side but not my left (still hurts): I prefer sleeping on my side to sleeping on my back, so this is good, but I prefer sleeping on my left side over my right, so still a ways to go.

Discomfort is still ever present, and sometimes the back hurts if I move or sit wrong.

Breathing: Gone is the wheezing. The cough is still there, but only very occasional and it is still bringing crap up, so it's good (actually, I should start taking the allergy meds again and see if less crap comes up). I still can't sing along with the radio as fully well as I could before, so the loss of lung capacity is noticeable and will hopefully continue to improve. I'm test-driving the lung capacity with extended walking tonight by going out with the boys to celebrate Dusty's birthday. Will remember to go light on the drinking.

No comments: