
I've reached the conclusion that I'm incredibly sick of the Christian Children's Fund and their constant requests for money. For just 80 cents a day little starving girl #1 can eat, go to school, get vaccinations...
And that's all great. Let me be clear that I'm all for charity. I'm all for little what'sername getting food, school and shots.
But I'm so sick of their pandering. Don't interrupt my Judge Judy reruns with 2 minutes of fly-harassed starving Ethernopians. Frankly, my 80 cents a day, if I had it to donate, would be donated locally. I think it's ethnocentric of me to say this, sure, but we should be caring for our own starving hudled masses before we're guilted into worrying about some poor Third World kid whose name has been stripped of them for a white-friendly Christian name and a doe-eyed photo op next to some well-fed spokesperson.
No matter where you live, your city has that section of town where the poverty is at, or that place where the homeless seem to congregate. If you want to help someone out, help your neighbor. For 80 cents a day you can buy a bushel of bananas and feed a handful of people; you can buy 8 packs of ramen noodles. You can save up for a week and buy a bum a blanket. And hey, after you're content helping your own backyard, if you still have riches to spare, little John Paul Salvadore Lopes Inkinbe Chu will still be waiting.
6 comments:
Standing ovation!!
I remember a Sportsnight where one of the white guys( the one that WASN'T six feet under) talked to Robert Guillaume about giving to Charity. Robert Guillaume mentioned that HE( a rich black guy) often gave to bums...
And the white dude asked "aren't you afried that they'll spend it on booze?"
To which Robert Guillaume replies that he hopes they do because NONE of them are a mere meal away.
So when I'm feeling good- I'll give change to the homeless... or sometimes when I buy my cliff bars, I'll buy a 'meal' for a homeless shelter( as the grocery store has a coupon for 2 for lunch and 5 bucks for a dinner).
Then again- I'm reminded of the South Park episode with Sally Strutters... Yeah, christan charities don't get MY money as they have enough, if they spent it 'wisely.'
Thing is we have this whole "welfare" thing going for us already. There are soup kitchens and shelters and all sorts of programs ALREADY available here in the US. There are low skill level jobs available at ALL times here in the US (think fast food/retail... hey it's what I do, too). Very few "bums" in the US get my pity because there's a whole system set up for them here in the US which they are cordially invited to take advantage of. The mentally ill have my pity and sympathy but throwing money at them in the streets and calling it charity isn't going to make them one bit less mentally ill. I suppose I might sound crass and cruel toward our domestic homeless. Maybe I am. My (useless/lying/alcoholic) father was one of them (may still be) so I'm a bit biased.....
And I fully respect that, O., all I'm saying is that if I'm going to be charitable, I'd rather it be where I can see the result and know where my money is going and not towards some large international corporation of churches really looking for a handout
---->agree
Not to mention that strengthening our society has to start locally… by and large, itll do no good whatsoever to put you fingers in a dyke on the other side of the world when there are people drowning here=/
Post a Comment