
Yesterday, two of our foster children were abruptly removed from our home because of this very blog. A birth parent had found this blog and set a stir in motion that became quite reactionary.
Long time readers will of course wonder what's so wrong with this journal that our family should be torn apart:
1. On two occasions I posted pictures of the family visiting Denise and I at the hospital when she was in for birthing Rael and I was in for lung surgery. These family pictures included these two foster children (and well our family pictures should include them, they were, strike that, are our family). In my fervor for showing the love I have for my family, I forgot that allowing their images to be online was against the rules (instead, I should have photoshopped them out, even though I did remember to be sure not to identify them as foster children. Heck, I didn't identify anybody--to the point that readers like Drew had to ask me which one was Denise in the hospital pic for me). Posting those two family photos was a mistake and now everyone has to suffer for it. God I'm so sorry that happened.
1a. Though I occasionally discuss life with the foster children, I always have kept their identities anonymous. If the kids were the Simpsons, they would never have been refered to as "Bart" or "Lisa," as I was always careful to preserve their privacy (except for the mistake of two family pictures that lacked identifying information anyway).
2. Sometimes I use profanity here. Anyone who spends any time around me and my family would know that I'm very, very particular in my speech around children, mine or otherwise. If I want to say a bad word, I have every right to; still, I don't say them around my children (foster or bio) and none of my children (foster or bio) read this web journal or have its address. In fact, when any of our kids are online at all, Denise or I sit here with them monitoring them the entire time to make sure their web browsing is appropriate.
3. In the 300+ posts that existed previously, exactly one of those posts contained a criticism of social work, even though the social worker and foster child(ren?) involved were kept completely anonymous. This one post has labeled me as someone who uses this blog to write about how much I hate county employees and think extremely ill of them. Neither of which is true. I had exactly one post about my birth father and how much I despise him; does that mean this blog was then a venue for my contempt and criticism towards fathers? No. One instance of anything does not a trend make.
4. I had a link, a link to T-Shirt Hell, an online store that sells t-shirts. Many of their shirts are vulgar. Almost as many of their shirts are merely scathing towards politics (one reads: "Bet You'll Vote Next Time, Hippy" with a picture of the President), pop culture ("I Support Whatever's Trendy" written on a yellow ribbon) or religion ("WWJD for a Klondike Bar"). However vulgar or prurient any of the shirts are, they weren't depicted here, and, again, my kids weren't/aren't allowed here (or there) anyway.
So what if items 2-4 are outright malarkey. I did do wrong in number one. I don't think our family should have been so harshly torn asunder for a mistake that was made in love for my family. Perhaps a slap on the hand and order to remove the pictures would have been more reasonable, but it isn't for me to decide.
I love my kids. I love those kids. Heck, I wanted to adopt both of those kids. I hope they're ok. If their new homes are more lenient with internet usage and they ever find their way here, I hope they read this paragraph and know they'll always be in our hearts.
Folks, if I never type the words "foster kid" here again, you know why.
9 comments:
Oh Evan, I'm so very, very sorry to hear about this!
I can't imagine how you and Denise are feeling right now. My thoughts are with both of you!
Ang
God, I just woke up and saw this post.
Not sure what to say save for the usual speil of how I feel for you, how those government jerks were were wrong to do this to you because I FER SHURE agree that what you did is a minor transgression. Heck the first time you showed pictures of a foster was when you showed that your whole family was getting their hair dyed... showing that you considered the foster girl part of the family.
And yeah this sounds a bit like censorship. That as far as DCF(? right that's I think what it's called) you don't have the same rights I have- as I have often been profane and I think I've 'sassed' my dad on MY blog on several occasions, but you have to be BETTER because they have the right to take kids away from you.
I feel really bad for you- and if I had money I would go to amazon and try to get something for you and your kids, as I also feel sorry for Lash and Aeia who've had their friends ripped from them.
But my rent just went up... and stuff but that's not as bad as what they did to you.
If there's anything I can do- you let me know.
wow. can you appeal the decision to someone higher than the farking idjit who made this knee-jerk reaction? my parents, who have fostered kids for forty years, are NOT the bastions of political correctness, let me tell you...but my mom knows how much good foster homes are needed, so does not let the county get away with such b.s. I say, start a proactive campaign to get the kids back in your loving care. take it to the very top, if necessary. your blog entry could be used as a tool to show how remorseful you are for your unwitting mistake. singular.
Evan,
I am a LURKER, but I absolutely needed to "out" myself to show my support. I read your blog EVERY day and the amount of love and openess in your life is something I modeled my own life by (I know...sounds cheesy). I know that blogs have been problematic for many people (see many news articles abotu people losing jobs), but this is crazy. You were always so careful about not revealing identities and your love for your children, family, and those around you were evident in almost every posting. I send you my thoughts and hope that everything works out for you to the best that it can...
Hope to find you on the net again soon...
It's Just Me...
I was so sorry to see this post. I can't imagine the anger and pain you must be feeling right now. There has to be an appeal process and I just hope you don't feel too run over by the system to take advantage of it. The reasons they gave were bogus for the most part and I will keep my fingers crossed that there is someone out there that will see how rediculous it is and return the kids to you. I know things have been very stressful lately but try and hang in there and know you have fans rooting for ya. Keep us posted. xoxo
This is one of the worst things I've read in a long time. Coming from a large metropolitan area there are too many stories of cases where foster children are NOT taken away from situations that have born out patterns of behavior on the foster parents' parts taht warranted it.
I hope this is a VERY temporary situation. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have my family broken up like that.
--mark from nyc
Evan.. I don't know what to say, that really hasn't already been said. I'm so sorry, and my heart goes out to you and your FAMILY. I think it's total crap, and my thoughts are with and Denise. If you need anything, let your blog family know.
I am so sorry to hear that they did this, it was not fair or even remotely right. I know that you are a great father to those kids and by thaking them away the social workers may have done more damage than anyone knows...I will keep you in my thoughts.
C
i'm thinking of you and hope all is okay soon.
suzie x
Post a Comment