Darkover: Landfall by Marion Zimmer Bradley
My mom used to
have all of these books (this series is like 20 books long) and I read a
handful of books somewhere in the middle chronologically when I was a
kid. I recently picked up the whole series, including the ones
written/co-written posthumously, and decided I'd like to give them a
revisit. Though this novel is the second or third she wrote in the
series, it's the first one chronologically, so I started there.
Most
of the books in the series are more fantasy genre than they are science
fiction, this book however tells the story of the Earth colonists who
crash on Darkover and begin establishing a refugee colony when they
realize they won't have their shipped repaired any time in their
generation.
This book was written in 1972 and had some themes
that didn't much surprise me like a much more relaxed stance on casual
sex, birth control, and drug use (though it was fairly balanced in
showing drugs being good for some and horribly bad for others). It makes
a strong push for communal family structures with large intermixed poly
families. I also noted Bradley predicting the existence of laptop
computers in 1972 and using racial descriptors that would today be
considered politically incorrect. As a time capsule into 70s sci-fi, it
was nice. There really wasn't a compelling conflict to follow, which
made the book a little dull (man vs. nature, where nature isn't
particularly tension-building dangerous), but it was a far more engaging
sci-fi read than the earlier Gibson novel.
Sunday, September 02, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment