I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (collective pseudonym of James Frey and Jobie Hughes)
Firstly,
a technical note for people who read this on the Kindle. I don't know
if it's universal, but my version had pages with the first line of each
chapter and nothing else as a sort of preface to the actual book
starting. Also, every single incidence of a double "L" in text dropped
the second letter L. Al the people fal ing into wal s occasional y got
to be distracting.
Now, I saw the movie last year without knowing
it was first a book and the only real impact seeing the movie had on my
read was my mind inserted Tim Olyphant, Alex Pettyfer and that chick
from Glee into my visual for the characters of Henri, John and Sarah as I read them.
This
is a YA novel and the romanticism (and therefore frequent stupidity)
from John over Sarah made me feel like vomiting pretty consistently. It
also made me question why Henri didn't push harder for them to leave
when signs of trouble came up (though the last two chapters offer the
promise there's an actual logical reason for this--to be revealed in the
second book, which I wil probably eventual y read.)
I enjoyed
the book over-al though. It was entertaining and did a real decent job
explaining its back-story. I would have liked a little more depth into
the psyche of many of the characters though. Sam is much more ful y
developed in the film than in the book.
I give the book a solid B.
Sunday, September 02, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment