The Magician King by Lev Grossman.
This is the sequel to The Magicians, which I wrote about earlier this year.
Ultimately,
while this book also has a downer of an ending, it's a more fitting
downer of an ending. Also, while Quentin was still very much a
self-serving prat, he had his moments of growth and eventually became a
much fuller, more sympathetic, character than he was the first time
around.
I really enjoyed the filling in of Julia's backstory, of
her life during Quentin's years in book one, but I found the way they
were presented--as rotating chapters between chapters of the primary
story--disjointing. Ultimately they made for turning an easy read into a
longer read as I needed to take more breaks from all the jumping back
and forth.
And now that it's happened in two of the novels in
this trilogy, I have to wonder what is with this author and fox-rape?
Where that incident was terrible in the first book, it made sense as
part of the plot. In this book, more graphically, it felt gratuitous and
unnecessary.
Friday, September 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment