Sunday, September 02, 2012

Another Year of School Beginning, Another Year of Battling Counselors Looming, the Latest Armor For My Son

For those not in the know, or in need of a history refresher on my struggles with my son's schooling and counselors over the last two years, please refer to these past G+ posts (and additional material I provide in the comments):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117177089600960301954/posts/f3g6xGumydP

and

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117177089600960301954/posts/gXzTDtXNSGH

Today my son was finally fully assessed for the possibility of placement somewhere in the autism spectrum, or a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD: things my son's school wants so they can require a pill can be foisted on my son, or placement in a special ed class to excuse their inability/unwillingness to help him, and things my ex-wife wants in order to excuse herself from responsibility as an unengaged and inattentive parent.

The results are that my son is not autistic, at all. He does not have ADD/ADHD. The team's assessment is that he's a normal seven year-old boy behaviorally. He has a minor speech impairment (his R's and his L's are hard to understand) that they are going to make the school address for me with speech therapy. They think the school listens to his speech and jumps from there to autism and/or ADD/ADHD and are somewhat surprised the school's never considered speech therapy. They think the school needs to look at the differences in his behavior and productivity on my days versus his mother's and are going to stress that with them for me.

I mentioned that my ex-wife would push for a diagnosis of synesthesia  next instead of dealing with the actual problems and the doctors flat out said that thinking he has synesthesia, based on the 4 hours they spent with him, is absolutely ridiculous.

A normal seven year-old boy.

I have been saying this for so long. Alone. Finally having someone with any authority agree and support this...I've been fighting tears of relief and joy all day (I don't want to confuse the kids).

School starts in one week. The same counselors and administrators who have constantly refused to respect my thoughts and my son are all still in place. I have no hope that things will be different with their approach or mindset, but if this does change anything for my son, I will be happy.

My ex-wife, upon receiving the good news, immediately began questioning the validity of the doctors' assessment.

No comments: