Sunday, September 02, 2012

50 Book Challenge 2012, Book 34

Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King.

Goodness how I enjoy this book. Some great, and sad, moments for Jake. Callahan and his entire #amazeballs story. That scene where Eddie is walking Andy out to his death. Callahan's horror at discovering his back story exists in a fiction novel. . .

I really enjoy almost every element of this novel. I have always hated Susannah and all of her personalities. The addition of Mia here, and to come, exacerbates this hatred but I'm looking forward to all of the Susannah-free Eddie when I get on to book 6 again. And I get the ridiculousness of the wolves themselves sure (and I've already discussed that in detail here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/117177089600960301954/posts/1e4P7oYLJ1C

My edition of the book has these fabulous full-color illustrations by horror legend Bernie Wrightson. Very early in the book there's an illustration of the Wolves. That, plus the very early naming of the "sneetches" and description of the wolves sight unseen I think better prepared me for the shocking silly reveal at the end. I think writing the series off or getting too frustrated with the while thing over characters that are in only 1.4% of one novel is serving ourselves a disservice, but I also understand the nature of straws breaking camels' backs, so this could be a moment where that happens for readers. I'd hope not...but everyone has their own roads to take on their journeys to the clearing at the end of the path.

I still hope to see you there.

No comments: