The kids all had a very enjoyable, highly materialistic holiday. My highlight in this: Rael going "I want to open another dinosaur" before opening each of his presents (and he was almost always right--the boy had an explosion of dinosaurs under the tree. . .which is all he wanted). This year I got to learn what it feels like from the parental side of things when a kid doesn't get what they wanted and is vocal about it (I got the wrong color item from one of them and heard all about it).
With my grandmother gone, I have absolutely no family who care to share contact on the holidays any more and so it's been leaving me a little more depressed this year for the holiday. Denise's family sent their yearly contact: an impersonal card and small check, continuing the trend of no connection to her family either. Seriously, it's next to impossible to feel very happy during the holidays anymore. Except for when it comes to the kids, and that really is a big joy in itself. It just doesn't fill every hole for me.
The work X-Mas party was pleasant, though there was some melodrama when one person participated in the "secret Santa" festivities by receiving a present without giving one. . .which caused a flurry of mini scenes. Meh. My secret Santa got me Mama Mia, which was a big yay for me--as a lover of musicals and ABBA, I've really been wanting to get to this one.
Watched a couple movies:
The aforementioned Mama Mia. I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel as much a musical as other musicals do. It's hard to describe, but I felt there was not enough actor-voices involved with actually singing their song numbers. Like I could often hear real ABBA harmonized in the back ground with the actors' voices.
Cashback. It's a little quirky, British comedy about a guy who works in a supermarket and his coworkers. . .about what I expected Clerks to be like before I actually saw Clerks for the first time (in other words, not over-the-top with vulgarity, but lightly funny). Worth renting.
The House Bunny. In all seriousness, I think Anna Faris (sp?) is an under-appreciated comedic genius, possibly pigeonholed as "dumb funny" over her involvement with the spoof comedy series of Scary Movies. She is not Leslie Nielson, folks, and it's sad because Smiley Face was probably one of my favourite comedies all year and it had zip for theatrical release (Ian and ADJ especially, I expect you'll enjoy Smiley Face). Anyway, this wasn't as funny, but still very enjoyable and gave me a few laugh out loud moments. Another one (two) worth the rental.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I too think Anna Farris is under-rated and hilarious. I will have to check out this so called Smiley Face movie.
Gotta say dude- the key to the holidays are the kids.
I mean I saw my 1 1/2 year old neice open her presents... and she was MUCH more impressed that some tape stuck to her thumb then the actual present.
But then again you're getting this from a guy who this is trying to set a precendent for NOT being with his Dad on X-mas.
Kids are fun to be with.... and though I don't work at the gift store- will make sure I bring a dino for Rael ;-)
Post a Comment