Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Ice Storm

It's that time of year where we get frost settling on everything during the wee hours of the night. I both love and loathe it. I mean, I am in California, where it's sunny 360 days a year and all I have to do with myself is surf all day and be blonde and tanned. So this frost thing, it's like a novelty (and snow? Don't know it.); I enjoy skidding around on it walking through my parking lot. The loathing comes in when it also means I have to take extra precautions driving to stay safe, scrape ice off windshields, battle the feeling of being cold, etc. Ah, the trials and tribulations of it all.

I actually really dig the cold.

Day three of Operation Optimism and things go well. The usual douche bags that would get my ire at work haven't been (I mean, they do get my ire, but only in the moment, no longer lingering) and other work situations that would have me loathing the rest of my day just don't.

I was able to squeeze a little blood from the financial stone and throw a few presents Denise's way as well. This pleases me. Other things, some of which I'd been stressing over, have left me feeling more positive the past couple days: legal stuff, the phone battle of 2008, etc.

I dropped by the comic store yesterday and picked up my two-month backlog of comics: all six issues. It pleases me that I've been able to hold to my conviction to stop reading crappy books for more than a year now. No more holding on to X-Men for a decade just so I can say I have all the issues. Three comics a month (one of them entirely for the kids too) and the occasional TPB is all that gets my money. Which today made me realize I'd discovered why I'd been able to swing a bit more money towards other forms of entertainment (movies, video games, etc.) this year. And I have zero regrets for it.

Anyhow, time to cut this short; Denise is home and we need to sort presents for wrapping and start setting up the house for decorating.

2 comments:

Ian said...

congrats on holding strong to the "no crappy" comics. There are soo many of them out there that it's like walking in a minefield, especially when one has a compulsive personality" MUST OWN COMPLETE RUN NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT SUCKS.
Out of curiosity, which titles do you still read? And I bet the stoppage of HeroClix has also helped you purchase other forms of "entertainment," you call them movies, I call them what they really are: strippers.

Unknown said...

Omg, you're hilarious, Ian.
I still get a case every time a HeroClix set comes out, but that's it, and now that it loks like Clix will die. . .

The comics I still buy in monthlies are Legion of Superheroes, Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century (this one for the kiddies) and The Walking Dead. I still pick up Invincible and Fables in tpb